Sunday, December 19, 2010

In Review: Swype


If there is anything that made me feel more comfortable about using touchscreen phones other than capacitive screen technology, it is this piece of software called Swype. Introduced in 2008 back when resistive touchscreen is still pretty popular, Swype has not received greater acceptance until 2010 when they have released more beta samples to more users and after making Swype usable by Android and lately Symbian users.

The concept of Swype is pretty simple, instead of tYPE-ing, you SWipe across the keyboard (ergo SWYPE). Like in the screenshot above, I spelled the word "money." I start on the letter m, then slide to o, then n, e, then y.

Advantages:
* Very comfortable to use with one hand on portrait mode
* Eerily accurate
* Can remember words outside of the user dictionary

Disadvantages:
* May prioritize non-dictionary words over dictionary words
* Gets confused with short words (confuses is and us, live and love, our and or, etc) which you may find annoying in the long run
* On higher versions, imports phonebook names as dictionary words and prioritizes them (there's no response from the Swype team yet)
* Still on beta mode, higher versions does not install on unsigned devices and not available for free or paid--user has to be beta-listed by the Swype team
* May feel uncomfortable on larger screens due to wider spacing when on Landscape mode
* Typing words for the first time so Swype can remember them can be a pain.

Personal Opinion:
In my two months' use of Swype, I can say that switching back to normal keyboard + auto correct has been uncomfortable. I have been dependent on Swype for most of my handheld typing. In fact, after a week's use, I scrapped any plan of getting an iPhone 4 because Swype is not yet available for it. Even on my laptop, I sometimes wish there's a technology similar for it.

Drivers will love Swype as they can type with one hand while driving with very little effort. It can be eerily accurate to the point that you won't need to check whether you are swyping the right words or not.

Now for the downsides, I have mentioned how annoying it is that Swype remembers and prioritizes the names on your phonebook. For instance, I have a contact with a surname of ONG, when I swype "OMG" the choice window pops out and gives me the choices with Ong over Omg. Sometimes it goes straight to thinking I meant Ong. And I find this terribly annoying. I have looked up on the Internet and apparently, there is no solution for it yet only workarounds.

Also, since you will be Swyping with your thumb, you will most likely end up with a sore thumb if you do this often.

Overall, I still feel that Swype does more good than harm and is game-changing.

Score: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. LOL. iOS is still a good business model and usability model. It misses a lot of functions that Android has, thus I chose Galaxy S over it. Sure, it sucks on some levels, but with iTunes integration, it shines due to the tight media on-demand capability not available to Android. Also it has a richer app market, but overall functionality lags behind Android.

    ReplyDelete