Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pick of The Week: Make You Move

This one's a pretty long story, so bear with me, dear readers.

Last month, I used to workout during mornings instead of my usual after work schedule. During this stint, I kept hearing this song that they play at the gym. The chorus is sung by a peculiar voice, bordering Cee-Lo Green peculiarity, and you can't identify properly if the singer is a man or a woman, but one thing for sure is that the singer is black. After first listening, the song (or at least the chorus) kept playing on my head and the annoying thing was that I can't quite make out the lyrics to warrant a successful Google search.

It also made sense to ask the receptionist, but apparently they don't know the song's title either nor can they burn me a copy of their CD as that is against their policies. So I did a turn for the peculiar and strained my ear to the speakers everytime (or every morning) that the song plays, catching as much (garbled, blame the gym's speakers) lyrics. All I know was that the last chorus lines are unintelligible words repeated again and again and again. Unfortunately, the verses are rapped, so good luck catching that, and the chorus is pretty much out of the question. And the worse thing was that I keep hearing this song for like weeks, catching me off guard when I think I have pretty much moved on not need the song in my track list anymore.

My Google searches have only gone extremely peculiar: reviewing the entire catalogs of Flo Rida (yes, the first rap verse sounded, albeit remotely, like Flo Rida), Cee-lo Green and Gnarles Barkley (just because the chorus did sound similar to Cee-lo), and Cobra Starship (because the second rap verse is incredibly techno cool like Cobra Starship). All of which ended in futility.

So last Saturday, I managed to catch it again and this time I really strained to catch the song, and get some parts of the lyrics. I was lucky they were blasting the speakers and I managed to catch the last part of the 2nd verse "Wait up, she's got my full attention with the way that she's working it, working it, working it, working it." So I ran those at Google and got 4 possible search results. The first three were weird songs that came from late 90s, but the fourth one has "make you move (16X)" as the last part of the chorus, so I looked it up on youtube, all the artists on the credits seem pretty unfamiliar to me, but voila, it's my song! Make You Move by Dr. Hollywood Ft. Martha Wash.

But before we head to the song, let's get to see the artists behind it.

Dr. Hollywood is a pair of rappers from Beverly Hills, made up of Lex Larson and Louie Rubio. One of their more popular songs, "Lakers Run L.A." amassed 3 million downloads, all without a record deal. The featured singer, Martha Wash, is part of the duo Weather Girls, you know the pair that originally sang It's Raining Men


Martha Wash is known for her extensive range and distinct vocals. It's difficult to tell though whether she's a man or a woman based solely on her voice. But her voice is a pleasure to listen to, nonetheless.

So without further ado, here's this week's Pick of the Week: Make You Move by Dr. Hollywood feat. Martha Wash. Enjoy.



Side note: You can apparently download Make You Move for free, instructions on the youtube link, from Dr. Hollywood's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment